V. What to Expect After an Official Report is Made

V. What to Expect After an Official Report is Made

 A. If I am a student, will my parents be told?

No, not unless you tell them. Whether you are the complainant or the respondent, Central College's primary relationship is to the student and not to the parent. However, in the event of major medical, conduct action, or academic jeopardy, students are strongly encouraged to inform their parents. College officials will directly inform parents when requested to do so by a student, or in a life-threatening situation, or if an accused student has signed the permission slip at registration which allows such communication. The permission slip states that "Central College may inform this parent in the unlikely event that you are threatened with suspension from the college due to Conduct or academic deficiency."

B. Will a survivor be sanctioned when reporting a violation of this Policy if he/she has used drugs or alcohol in violation of the law or College conduct rules?

No. The severity of the infraction will determine the nature of the College's response, but whenever possible the College will respond educationally rather than punitively to the illegal or improper use of drugs and/or alcohol by a survivor of Sexual or Relationship Misconduct. The seriousness of Sexual or Relationship Misconduct is a major concern and the College does not want any of the circumstances (e.g., drug or alcohol use) to inhibit the reporting of a violation of this Policy.

C. What do I do if I am accused of sexual misconduct? 

  1. DO NOT contact the alleged survivor.
  2. Follow all directives issued by the College.
  3. Contact the Title IX Coordinator to receive additional explanation about the investigatory process.
  4. If a student, consider contacting your parents for support.
  5. Consider hiring an attorney.
  6. Consider contacting someone in the campus community who can act as your advisor.
  7. You may also want to talk to a confidential counselor at the college counseling center.

D. Interim Measures

If, at any time after being made aware of the complaint, the College determines that it is in the best interest of either party for safety or other reasons, the College may take whatever interim measures are deemed appropriate under the circumstances. Any party desiring the imposition of interim measures or with questions related thereto should contact the Title IX Coordinator; the Title IX Coordinator will oversee the implementation of any such measures. In most instances, both the complainant and the respondent will be instructed to avoid all contact with the other. Such a directive serves as notice to both parties that they must not have verbal, electronic, written, or third party communication with one another.  If these instructions are not heeded, disciplinary action will be taken, including the possibility of immediate disciplinary action.  In addition, complainants have the right to request orders of protection, “no-contact” orders, restraining orders, or similar orders issued by a criminal, civil, or tribal court or by the institution, and the College has the responsibility to implement such orders.  If requested by the complainant, a change in living or academic/work arrangements will be made to the extent reasonably possible.  Other interim measures for the complainant and/or respondent might include:

  1. Assistance from college support staff in completing the relocation
  2. Arranging to dissolve a housing contract and pro-rating a refund
  3. Rescheduling exam (paper, assignment)
  4. Taking an incomplete in a class
  5. Transferring class sections
  6. Temporary withdrawal from a course or from the college
  7. Alternative course completion options
  8. Academic accommodations
  9. Medical and mental health services, including counseling
  10. Change in campus housing and/or dining locations
  11. Assistance in arranging for alternative College employment arrangements and/or changing work schedules
  12. Providing an escort to ensure that the student can move safely between school programs and activities
  13. Transportation accommodations, such as shuttle service, cab voucher, or parking arrangements to ensure safety and access to other services
  14. Assistance identifying an advocate to help secure additional resources, including off-campus and community advocacy, support, and services

The College will generally initiate these measures only with the complainant’s knowledge and consent, but the College reserves the right to take whatever measures are deemed necessary to protect the parties and/or the community. In cases where confidentiality is requested and feasible, to the extent it is reasonably possible, a complainant may still be provided requested support services such as a change in living or academic/work arrangements, and increased monitoring, supervision or security at locations and activities where the alleged misconduct or violence occurred.

The College will work with complainants or their counselors or advocates to identify what interim measures are appropriate in the short term (e.g., during the pendency of an investigation or other school response), and will continue to work collaboratively throughout the College’s process and as needed thereafter to assess whether the instituted measures are effective, and if not, what additional or different measures are available to keep the complainant safe.

E. Interplay with Criminal Proceedings

As noted above, some conduct covered by this Policy may constitute both a criminal violation and a violation of College policy. A person charged with a crime can be prosecuted under the Iowa Criminal Code and separately adjudicated by the College for any behavior that also constitutes a violation of this Policy. Even if the criminal justice authorities choose not to prosecute, a student or employee charged with any type of Sexual and/or Relationship Misconduct will be subject to the College disciplinary process. The matter will be processed under the applicable College policies and procedures, without waiting for any separate criminal investigations/proceedings to be conducted or completed. The College may briefly delay the start of its investigation for up to ten (10) days to allow an initial law enforcement investigation when a police report has been made, but absent compelling circumstances, a longer delay will not be allowed.