4.4.1 Department Chairs
184.108.40.206 Selection of Department Chairs
Department Chairs usually serve three-year terms (1 August-31 July), should typically be tenured faculty, and are appointed by the VPAA/Dean of the Faculty in consultation with the Faculty Personnel Committee and faculty members in the department.
220.127.116.11 Roles and Responsibilities of Department Chairs
1. Serve as a leader of the department, administering duties assigned by the VPAA/Dean of the Faculty.
2. Oversee the business of the department, including:
a. Making recommendations to the Personnel Committee concerning the evaluation, promotion, and tenure of members of the department.
b. Supervising the department budgets, curricula, course schedules, departmental planning, and acquisition of library holdings.
c. Recruiting instructional staff.
d. Holding regular department meetings.
e. Mentoring and assisting in development of new faculty.
3. Work with department members in an advisory role.
4. Work with the VPAA/Dean of the Faculty in an advisory role.
5. Serving as department chair does not preclude service on committees or other organized faculty bodies.