Central ... Briefly
Located in Pella, Iowa - 40 minutes southeast of Des Moines
Founded in 1853
Campus includes nearly 50 major buildings on 200 acres
- The newly renovated Douwstra Auditorium has been a gathering place for concerts, lectures, convocation and baccalaureate.
- The Roe Center is a platinum LEED-rated (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) building and houses education, political science, psychology and communication studies programs.
- Vermeer Science Center earned Iowa’s first LEED rating, a silver medal, from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- Maytag Student Center features a fireside lounge, fitness center, Fred’s café and Central College Spirit Shoppe.
- Howard McKee Hall, an apartment-style residence hall, earned Central’s second LEED rating, a gold medal.
- Scholte Hall is Central’s largest residence hall.
- Weller Center for Business and International Studies features many environmentally-friendly elements.
- The Central Market is Iowa’s most original dining hall with a unique European marketplace design.
- Ron Schipper Fitness Center is a state-of-the-art fitness center available to all students.
- Geisler Library holds 160,000 volumes and worldwide electronic access.
- Global Café offers espresso, coffee, snacks and WiFi.
- Kruidenier Center for Theatre hosts numerous performances.
- Lubbers Center for the Visual Arts includes one of only two teaching glassblowing studios in Iowa.
- The Chapel is home to Central’s Campus Ministries program, which is open to all.
- One of the Best National Liberal Arts Colleges, U.S. News and World Report, 2020
- One of the Best Colleges for Kinesiology and Physical Therapy in America, Best Christian Colleges in America, Best Colleges for Education in America and a Best Value College in Iowa, Niche.com, 2020
- Top 15% in the nation for Division III Women’s Soccer program, collegefactual.com, 2020
- One of the Best Christian Colleges and Universities, edsmart.org, 2020
- Top 20 Liberal Arts Colleges in the country for close student-professor relationships, bestliberalartscolleges.com, 2019
- One of the Top 10 Colleges and Universities in Iowa, wallethub.com, 2019
- One of the Best College Values in America, money.com, 2019
- One of the Best Christian Colleges and Universities in the Nation, Crosswalk.com, 2019
- One of the Best Value Colleges in Iowa, Safest College Campuses in Iowa, and Best College Food in Iowa by niche.com, 2019
- One of the of the Best Colleges in Iowa, Collegechoice.net, 2018
- One of the Best College Dorms in America, Best College Campuses in Iowa, Safest College Campuses in Iowa and Best College Athletics in Iowa, niche.com 2018
- One of the Top Colleges for Philosophy and Religious Studies, biggerfaith.org, 2018
- One of the Best Colleges for Intramural Sports in the Country, bestcolleges.com, 2018
- One of the Best Bachelor’s in Actuarial Science, College Choice, 2017
- One of the Top Up-and-Coming Programs for Psychology Degrees in the Midwest, bestpsychologydegrees, 2016
- Highest value-added to salary of any liberal arts college in Iowa, Brookings, 2015
- One of the 50 Most Underrated Colleges in America, Business Insider, 2015
- Awarded the Community Engagement Classification, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 2015
- Named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll eight times; twice as a finalist and once with distinction in the education category.
- One of only seven Iowa private colleges or universities with a chemistry program approved by the American Chemical Society.
- Named to Honor Roll for Character-Building Colleges by the John Templeton Foundation.
Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission; member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (www.hlcommission.org; 800-621-7440)
Also accredited by the State of Iowa Board of Education, National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education and certified by the American Chemical Society
- Total enrollment: 1,120
- Number of states represented in student body: 31
- Foreign countries represented in student body: 1
- Average aid (including scholarships, grants, work study and loans) awarded to all incoming freshman in 2020-21: $15,784
- 6-year graduation rate: 68%
- Total full-time faculty: 100
- Ph.D. degree or terminal degree: 87 percent
- Faculty-student ratio: 11:1
- Average class size: 17
New, first-year student admission profile (Fall 2020)
- Total applications: 2,340, total acceptances: 1,490; final enrollment: 325 (175 men; 150 women)
- Reformed Church in America students: 61
- Percent in top 10 percent of high school class: 23 percent
- ACT composite score average: 22
- Average HS GPA: 3.52
- Percentage entering with AP or college credit: 68 percent
Financial aid profile, entire student body
- Receiving need-based aid: 69 percent
- Receiving scholarship and grant aid: more than 94 percent
Central’s music department is committed to providing both majors and non-majors a variety of musical performance opportunities: A Cappella Choir, Brass Ensemble, Chamber Singers, Clarinet Ensemble, College-Community Chorus, College-Community Orchestra, Flute Choir, Flying Pans Steel Drum Band, Handbell Choir, Jazz Band, Pep Band, Percussion Ensemble, Piano Ensemble, String Ensemble, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, ALMA and Woodwind Ensemble.
- Central College is affiliated with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (Division III) and the American Rivers Conference for men and women. Our 20 teams include baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, volleyball, wrestling and women's triathalon.
- Central athletes have captured 11 NCAA Division III championships, 33 NCAA Division III national individual titles, 184 Iowa Conference championships, 76 national top-10 team finishes, 59 CoSIDA Academic All-America honors, 24 NCAA postgraduate scholarships and nine NCAA Division III player of the year awards.
A.N. Kuyper Athletics Complex includes:
- An ongoing facilities update initiative at the A.N. Kuyper Athletics Complex is underway, with a $12 million expansion of P.H. Kuyper Gymnasium completed in early 2017, to be followed by a building renovation
- H.S. Kuyper Fieldhouse with indoor track, tennis and basketball court surface Ron Schipper Fitness Center
- Ron and Joyce Schipper Stadium
- Competition soccer field with separate men’s and women’s practice fields
- Ryerson Golf Practice Range, one of the only golf practice facilities on a college campus in Iowa
- 8,000-meter cross country course on campus
- P.H. Kuyper Gymnasium
- Baseball and softball game fields