Melissa McAninch (chair), Jennifer Diers (director), Amanda Clark, Alan Hastings, Tamara Masters, Tamala Strawser, Julianne Taylor
For general information about Central’s Education Department and teacher education programs, please consult the Education (Elementary) section of this catalog.
The Central College teacher education program is approved by the Iowa Department of Education. Students successfully completing one of the prescribed programs may be considered candidates for an Iowa Teaching License that is endorsed according to the type of program completed.
The credentials of Central College are respected outside Iowa, but students desiring to teach in any other state should be acquainted with the professional requirements of the state in question as early as possible in their college career. Any student who is seeking Iowa licensure with the intent of also meeting the licensure requirements of another state should consult with the Department of Education in that state.
Application for the teacher education program is expected after completing EDUC 110, 135, and 181. Candidates are continually evaluated throughout the program to ensure appropriate progression on departmental standards and are formally reviewed by the full department at the point of admission, prior to student teaching and before application for licensure.
The education department encourages students to consider the advantages of study abroad. Internships and programs of study in teacher education can be explored as growth opportunities.
Teachers at the secondary level may teach in their endorsement area(s) grades 5- 12.
Program completion is not final and a recommendation for a K-12 teaching license will not be granted until the teaching candidate has met the following requirements:
1. Passing scores on Praxis II content and pedagogy tests received by Central EDUC
2. Completion of a B.A. or B.S.
3. Attainment of a minimum grade of “C” in all courses with an EDUC prefix
4. Attainment of final ratings of “Meets Standard” in at least eight of the ten overall ratings of InTASC standards. An overall rating of “unsatisfactory” in any standard or disposition will disqualify the teaching candidate from the recommendation for licensure.
5. Demonstrate “Meets Standard” in six of the seven teaching dispositions. An overall rating of “unsatisfactory” in any standard or disposition will disqualify the teaching candidate from the recommendation for licensure.
6. Attainment of “Meets Standard” in all assessed areas on the Senior Showcase rubric
7. Completion of all requirements in the education, including student teaching
8. Completion of all support courses from various departments as advised by the Education Department to meet licensure & endorsement requirements, individual interest, and/or need
9. Attainment of “Meets Standard” in all assessed areas on the Senior Showcase rubric
10. Recommendation for licensure from the Education Department voting faculty members
Upon successful completion of these requirements, the graduate is recommended to the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners for a teaching license.
Complete all of the following (40 credits) with a “C” or better in each course:
EDUC 110 Foundations of Education (3)
EDUC 135 Children with Exceptionalities (3)
EDUC 181 Developmental Psychology (3)
EDUC 215 Human Relations (3)
EDUC 340 Learning and Assessment in Secondary Education (3)
EDUC 342 Reading in the Content Area – Secondary (1)
EDUC 375 Behavior and Classroom Management- Secondary K-12 (3)
EDUC 384 Field Experience in Secondary Education (1)
EDUC 450 General Secondary Methods (3)
EDUC 451 Secondary Special Methods (1)
EDUC 455 Advanced Integration of Technology in Education – Secondary (1)
EDUC 470 Secondary Student Teaching (12)
EDUC 486 Professional Development Seminar-Secondary (2)
Secondary Endorsement Areas (5-12)
Possible Secondary endorsement areas are listed below, but students should communicate with the Education Department as to their intent in obtaining such endorsement.
Secondary (5-12 & K-12)
101 K-12 Athletic Coach
104 K-12 ESL Teacher
114 5-12 Art
120 5-12 English/Lang Arts
124 5-12 French
126 5-12 German
134 5-12 Spanish
138 5-12 Health
143 5-12 Mathematics
145 5-12 Music
147 5-12 Physical Education
151 5-12 Biological Science
152 5-12 Chemistry
153 5-12 Earth Science
154 5-12 Basic Science
156 5-12 Physics
157 5-12 American Government
158 5-12 American History
160 5-12 Economics
161 5-12 Geography
163 5-12 Psychology
165 5-12 Sociology
166 5-12 World History
168 5-12 Speech Com/Theatre
261 5-12 Instructional Strat I
1171 5-12 Business – All